Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Week 1

It remains difficult to engage my brain. Not helping is working all weekend volunteering at our local July 4 carnival. I help by selling tickets for the five-day event, as the proceeds go to a community meal effort that my mother leads at our local church. So it's a good cause, but a lack of volunteers this year meant long hours, apart from everything else going on. So what little down time I had, I couldn't make myself complete all of the work that I wanted to complete during the first week of class.

What I will say is that after reading all of the accompanying web links, lectures and articles, the amount of information we are covering is a bit overwhelming. We created our own blog, in which is being written right now, as well our own delicious bookmark account. I spent a lot of time browsing and adding links to that account page. I really like having all of that information at my fingertips, wherever I am, cataloged nicely using tag words. I would add that I already use a browser sync program that keeps all of my bookmarks with me no matter where I go, as long as I can log into my favorite browser. But delicious is better, I like it. We are required to add 50 links by the end of the eight weeks, I almost have that many already, Very useful.

I do like writing in a blog. I started my own a couple years ago, but it never got off the ground, and I when I started classes again I found little time available to write in it. So here I am combining the two. Nice. I believe I will find this useful as I progress through the course. We have the option of writing our reflective pieces here, which I can't wait to do.

I find it all overwhelming because of the sheer volume of it, not necessarily the subject matter or technology. I am proficient at most of what is coming our way, but it feels like we're getting a lot thrown at us in a short amount of time. I think this class involves a lot of material. I have no problem with the challenge, but I need to sense that I'm building toward a cohesive end product, and I don't feel that yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment